Monday, January 21, 2008

A Mzungu in Uganda....

Life continues and i am getting more used to everything and i am able to get around on my own now. I can officially get a mutatu down town... find places and get one back...all by myself... this is a feat not many of my teammates have achieved. This weekend we went with out internet, and as annoying as that was, it was refreshing to be away from everything and fully submerged in Africa. This weekend was really fun, i went down town as i said, and then we went to a play that evening. The pay was really good, it was about a family in a village and all their beliefs in Gods and stuff. It was at the international play house though, and the props probably were as good as a elementary school play. But it was still really fun! After the play we got to watch a complimentary concert....I have NEVER laughed harder in my life. I couldn't believe what was happening and the only reason i believe it now is because i have video of it. the lady's of the play came out, there was a foil back ground, and they had ridiculous outfits on and they were basically Brittney spears dancing. And they were dead serious about it. It was sad in the sense that it was obvious that it was totally western culture that brought this on. In a culture that is very modest, they are looked down upon alot, but at the same time... it was really funny.
Sunday i went to a pentecostal church. I was appalled by it. It was a church of about a thousand. they had more high tech technology then my church does. And to top it all off they are raising money to build a more western church with a coffee shop in front. In a country that 8% is using electricity, and that is suffering from poverty... a westernized church with a coffee shop is the last thing they need. It was also sad because it was completely a numbers game. They guilt ed the people the whole time to come to Christ using hell, and then guilt ed them to bring more people. I saw about 40 people claim to accept Christ. It breaks my heart that people come down here with good intentions and all they give these people is a church to go to.... this is not stopping poverty, spiritually or physically.
That night we went to a dance. It was a dinner theater type thing where we got to see dances from a lot of different cultures. It was really cool, and a complete contrast to the concert we went to the day before.
I am beginning to like some Ugandan food. Samosas are delicious, and so is Matoke (their banana dish).... although i still appreciate Graces cooking and look forward to her westernized cooking every night as lame as that is.
We started Economics today. We went to the university which was really cool to be in a university in Uganda. It was pretty interesting. We then went to about 7 different little businesses to see how the Majority of Ugandans get their money. Most of them are in the automotive industry. It is actually amazing what they do. They take beat up cars, and using very little tools, pound out all the bends, weld all the cracks, and paint the thing and it looks basically new. This provides a lot of income for the city of Uganda.

Ok last thing... we applied for our Practicums, the one i want is a job doing photography and getting stories to send back to the states to raise awareness and support to the communities in Rwanda. It sounds like a Rad Job, so pray that i would get it... and if Not that God would send me where he wants me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good weekend! I know how lame it is not to get comments...especially when Leah and Jordon get SO many.:P So I thought I'd write. I'm excited about your practicum! You HAVE to tell everyone I said hello when you go to Rwanda!